Who are Licensed Electrical Workers (LEW) and what do they do?
In Singapore, Licensed Electrical Workers are those who have received an official license from the Energy Market Authority to carry out electrical services & installations. Their expertise in electrical works can often be applied to residential, industrial as well as commercial buildings. LEW services commonly go with public insurance and are sought after for that very reason. Moreover, hiring a professional with a LEW license will guarantee that the work that will be delivered is in line with the existing laws and ordinances.
If you are considering conducting/modifying electrical works on your building, it is necessary to find a reputable company that provides LEW services to ensure that these works are in compliance with electrical regulations in Singapore. Some LEW services include designing, inspection, test, repair, and operation of the electrical apparatus on the premises.
How are Licensed Electrical Workers certified?
There are 3 classes of LEW, the Electrician’s License, Electrical Technician’s License, and an Electrical Engineer License. Listed below are their requirements to become certified and entitlement of their LEW services respectively.
|Type of LEW||Requirement of Certification||Certified LEW services|
1. Possess a National Institute of Technical Education Certificate which curriculum is relevant to electrical work
2. Has not less than 10 years practical experience in Singapore relevant to the electrical work which an electrician is authorized to perform
1. design, install, repair, maintain, operate, inspect, and test an electrical / supply installation where the operating voltage of such installation does not exceed 1000 volts and the approved load of such installation does not exceed 45 kVA
2. Install, repair, maintain and operate, under the supervision of an electrical technician, installation where the operating voltage of such installation does not exceed 1000 volts and the approved load of such installation is more than 45 kVA but does not exceed 500 kVA
|Electrician Technician’s License|
1. Possesses a diploma majoring in electrical power engineering relevant to the electrical work
2. Possesses an electrician’s license; and has not less than 5 years practical experience in Singapore relevant to electrical work
1. Install, repair, maintain, operate, inspect and test an electrical installation where the operating voltage of such installation does not exceed 1000 volts and the approved load of such installation does not exceed 500 kVA
2. Design and submit plans and drawings of an electrical installation where the operating voltage of such installation does not exceed 1000 volts and the approved load of such installation does not exceed 150 kVA
|Electrical Engineer License|
1. Is a registered professional engineer in electrical engineering under the Professional Engineers Act
2. Has not less than 2 years’ post-graduate experience in Singapore in electrical power engineering relevant to the electrical work which an electrical engineer is authorized to perform.
1. Design, install, repair, maintain, operate, inspect, test and take full charge and responsibility for any electrical installation up to his/her license’s limit.
2. An electrical engineer’s license has a range of operation voltage restrictions. They are as follows:
a. in operation: “up to 1000 volts”
b. in operation: “up to 22000 volts”
c. in operation: “up to 66000 volts”
d. in operation: “up to 230000 volts”
e. restricted to particular installations
To apply for a LEW Licence, for example the engineer or technician must be a graduate in electrical engineering or related courses from a recognised tertiary institution. Moreover, he/she must be familiar with laws including the Electricity Act, Electricity Regulations for Electrical Workers and Electrical Installations, and the Code of Practices for Electrical Workers.
The application fee for the technician LEW licence costs $50 and is non-refundable. Once the application is approved, another $60 will be paid for the Singpass. Holder of LEW license may practice the following LEW Services:
- Install, inspect, maintain, test and repair electrical systems that do not exceed 1000 volts.
- Design, draft and propose an electrical system for residential and commercial establishments which requirements do not exceed 1000 volts.
- Any work that has been authorised for him/her to work on by a high voltage switching engineer.
What are the LEW services that Licensed Electrical Worker and Electrical Professional Engineer (PE) can provide?
1. Project Feasibility Studies
Licensed Electrical Worker (LEW) and Electrical Professional Engineer can conduct assessments to determine the practicality of a proposed plan or project. This can include estimations of risks, succession, and potential issues.
2. Conceptual and Detailed Design and Engineering
Licensed Electrical Worker (LEW) and Electrical Professional Engineer (PE) will produce simple drawings that summarize the ideas of the project at the conceptual stage. Following consults and discussions with the client, they will then proceed to develop detailed designs of the concept into a workable system. The engineering phase will then see the LEW and Electrical PE putting together the plan to produce an engineering solution in the project presented.
3. SP Group Submissions and Obtaining of Approvals for Plans
It is required to submit application on electrical installation drawings and document to the SP Group for approval before the consumer electrical system is allowed to be connected to the SPPG Power Supply network. Your local Licensed Electrical Worker will be able to help you do so as it is usually one of their LEW services provided.
4. Electrical System Study using ETAP
Licensed Electrical Worker and Electrical Professional Engineer can conduct an electrical system analysis using software such as ETAP to determine issues in your premises which have to be corrected. Certain diagnostic, relay co-ordination studies and preventive studies for examples are most essential for you to get your electrical system properly set up and hence avoid the unnecessary outage of healthy part of system.
5. Electrical Safety Training
Safety and switching training are conducted as important for users in the premises to understand basic safety protocols and operational functions of the electrical systems.
Where to find 22KV Licensed Electrical Worker and Electrical Professional Engineer in Singapore?
Visit our website to find out more about what we do. Feel free to contact us for a consultation or clarifications. Tan T P Consultants is a Singapore-based Licensed Electrical Worker and Electrical Professional Engineer company with 20 years of experience in the Electrical Engineering field. They’ve provided professional LEW services to many well-established and prestigious companies such as Parkway Hospitals Singapore, Hong Fok Corporation, and China Jingye Engineering Corporation. Our Licensed Electrical Worker and Electrical Professional Engineer highly experienced in a vast number of industries, ranging from residential to industrial and commercial buildings.